On my winter treks, I have seen trekkers and even some guides carry their ice axe incorrectly. If packed incorrectly, an ice axe may puncture your hip with its sharp pick if you fall. This video shows the correct way to attach an ice axe to a backpack.
- Insert the ice axe, shaft first into the backpack ice axe/trekking pole loop. Shaft points towards the bottom of the pack.
- Make sure that the pick faces the pack.
- Fold the ice axe upside down. Shaft points towards the top of the backpack.
- Close the loops along the ice axe shaft.
- Check if the ice axe is secure.